Denton Central Fire Station
To create enough space for the City’s Central Fire Station personnel, along with the EOC, a fitness center, interrogation room, a decontamination room, beginning with the empty shell of an existing building. Much like Plano No.4, the site was constrained by major streets on three sides, and adjacent to the fourth side, was the local newspaper, a formidable building in its own right.
Upon discovering that the generator pits went 14 feet into the ground, and the existing walls of the shell were three-feet of concrete, thorough testing determined that the structure already there could be built upon, creating a cost savings. To maximize space, they created two stories within the existing shell to house everything but the apparatus. The apparatus bays were added on to meet all of the space requirements, and KAS worked with the design committee to develop a drive-through bay solution. The original clock on the front of the building (built in the 1940’s) was repaired, and all of the glass windows that were intact, were removed during construction then reinstalled, along with other steps taken within the National Historical Guidelines, allowing the integrity of the original building to remain, should they want to obtain a historic registration.
The project received five design awards:
Design Award Fort Worth Chapter AIA, 2004 | Preservation Texas Best Adaptive Re-Use of Historic Structure, 2004 | Main Street Denton Excellence in Preservation, 2003 | Texas Downtown Association Best Adaptive Re-Use Award, 2003 | Fire Chief Magazine Best Adaptive Re-Use Silver Medal, 2003